Thursday, September 30, 2010

FFWD - Gougeres


I've never been much of a recipe follower when it comes to main courses. Too many fussy eaters in my family. I don't like to see food go to waste, so I've developed a consistent, but limited, repertoire. After two years participating in Tuesdays with Dorie, I'm ready to branch out. But only with someone I trust. The most natural person to fill that role is, of course, Dorie Greenspan.

Welcome to the first of many French Fridays with Dorie. As part of a group of dedicated cooks, I'll be working my way through Dorie Greenspan's brand new cookbook Around My French Table more than 300 recipes from my home to yours.

Our opening recipe didn't take me far from my pastry comfort zone. Gougeres are little appetizer cheese puffs. They are so delicious! I could have licked that smooth, creamy batter bowl.

The first bite caught me completely by surprise. I didn't expect such a light and airy treat.

Now, we're not going to be posting the recipes. You must go buy the book. Really. You must. Dorie's instructions on every aspect of cooking are clear and understandable. Her taste in offering pleasing ingredient combinations is impeccable. And if you want, you can cook along with us! Once again, the book is Dorie Greenspan's Around My French Table more than 300 recipes from my home to yours.

See you next Friday for the delicious quiche-like Mustard Tart.

24 comments:

  1. I am so glad so many TWDers are along for this journey too. Feels so homey that way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely looking little cheesy bites. As much as I'd like to join, I too have too many fussy eaters in my house for this type of cuisine. But I'll be following along!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely photos! These were a huge hit with us! You're right that these are in the pastry comfort zone - nice way to ease into the new group.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your gougeres look so good!! I swear I am the only gougeres fail student.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A fellow-TWD welcome as well! What wonderful puffy gougeres (took me awhile to learn how to pronounce that one)! These were just the most wonderful puffy, cheesy delights, were they not? Your photos truly capture their texture and flavor!

    Mike
    twd
    web.me.com/mikejdunlap

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are beautiful. I'm so happy to be joining your group with this latest book. I scraped the bowl and ate it... yum!

    Trevor Sis. Boom.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wasn't it a nice surprise that this was so easy? Glad to see you over here as well as TWD! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Weren't these delicious? It was like trying to eat just one potato chip. Not gonna happen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your puffs look great! Mine will be a different story. I will redeem myself. But I'm excited for this new group full of lots of us TWDers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Clivia your gougeres are just beautiful! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Former TWD member and now part of the FFwD gang here. Absolutely beautiful gougeres! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was a little apprehensive about joining in because I really like being in charge of my dinner options, but once I looked through the book, I was sold. Dorie is amazing.
    Your gougeres look perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I confess that I tried the batter...it was good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Haha, I feel the same way about cooking new things and branching out... I'm wondering how the family is going to react to all of these new dishes. Anyway, your cheese puffs look like they belong in Dorie's book! Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm a batter eater. I don't care if it has raw eggs or not, I have to taste it. And this batter was good! But not as good as the baked gougeres!

    I'm so excited about this book and challenge. I love French food, and am happy to have the opportunity to introduce my family to it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful gougeres. And a great way to start a new cooking group. With other TWDers. Fun times!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. A fellow Canadian making their way through the book! Yay!

    Beautiful job on the gougeres. The picture of you pulling one apart just makes a person want to dive right into your kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous.

    (I'm feeling lucky that my family will eat almost anything I serve them. It's so much easier than when I lived with fussy eaters.)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Perfect little rounds of golden perfection! Love your gougeres!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your gougeres turned out perfectly. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! I'm a little late in commenting, but your gougeres look stunning!! Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  22. YUM! I can't wait to try these! Love the new blog!!!!

    ReplyDelete